Thursday, August 28, 2014

Exchange 2010 - Creating a Dynamic Distribution List from an AD Security Group

As part of SCSM group notifications I wanted a way to provide security; separate the analysts into groups; be able to provide email addresses for each of the groups; and not have to manage the groups myself.

Enter - Dynamic Distribution Groups

I opened the Exchange Administration Console and started creating a new Dynamic Distribution Group (DDG). I quickly realized that I am unable to filter the DDG based on an Active Directory Security Group (ADSG) like I thought I could.

Quick google search later and I found this technet article

Here is what I came up with Open the Exchange Shell and enter the following commands:

New-DynamicDistributionGroup -Name "NAME_OF_DDG_TO_CREATE" -RecipientFilter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox') -and (MemberOfGroup -eq 'CN=ADSEC_GROUP,OU=GROUPS,DC=SOMEWHERE,DC=COM')

Then I was able to find my DDG in the Exchange Administration Console and set other options like:

  • "Managed By"
  • "Select the recipient container where you want to apply this filter" (by default this points to domain/Users and we have moved all users into a different container for organization)
  • "Hide group from Exchange address lists" (I don't want people to be able to email these groups directly
  • "Do not send delivery reports" (No need since all of these emails are coming from Orchestration Runbooks as the SCSM notifications)

1 comment:

  1. Slot Machines - DrmCD
    Slot Machines. This site uses cookies. For 시흥 출장마사지 use in your personal 속초 출장샵 information, 경상북도 출장샵 you 문경 출장샵 agree to the use of cookies and your use of this website is governed 제천 출장샵 by the

    ReplyDelete

Remote Mailboxes - Hybrid Config - Missing

The Remote Mailbox exists on the On Prem Exchange server and linked to the Office 365 mailbox. Without one of these for each Office 365 mail...